Geek Job Descriptions
How to Get Ready for a Job Interview
- Get questions for the employer from this! Carefully examine the job description. Prep and see what the employer is looking for and how do you match that?
- Perform research on the company. Look at their web and social presence. Do you share their values?
- Consider your answers to common interview questions. Why do you want to work for them? Greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
- Practice speaking and body language. Are they both confident?
- Prepare thoughtful questions for the interviewer(s). Start with the job description then their website and social presence.
- Print hard copies of the cover letter and resume if the interview is in person.
- If interviewsing in person, be sure you know where you're going, so you may want to scope out the location early.
- Be early, but not TOO early for the interview. If you get to the location more than 15 minutes out, wait somewhere away from the office.
- Sell yourself to those interviewing you. Remember, how do your skills (professional or hobby) mesh with what they are looking for? For example, if good communication is one of the skills listed, how have you practiced that previously? If you just graduated from high school, how does your membership in organizations or jobs relate to the skills they want??
- Follow up with a quick email thanking the interviewer(s) for their time, connect your experience and interests, and end that you're happy to answer any additional questions they may have.